Monday, March 10, 2008

Skip norton.. Try Avast

Ok, everybody make your nerd glasses comments and such.. It's time for another stupid pet trick.. errr.. tech tip.. whatever..

Avast Antivirus is free. And it doesn't clog your system resources.. and it has updated virus lists, etc -- and in most tests works as well as norton or the other popular ones.. But it doesn't cost anything.. So, skip the stupid subscription fees, and get free antivirus.... http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
One note -- The default setting is to annoy you with a loud sound file that alerts you "Virus DAtabase Updated!".. Turn this off if you don't want your computer screaming at you at 3 am.

On another note.. Free IM software.. I think most of us are using Trillian.. We tried out Pidgin for a while cause it works with Google Talk as well as AIM, Yahoo, MSN, etc.. But it was a crazy resource hog.. Used up tons of memory.. so, I wouldn't recommend it for now..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm.....I'll have to check that out. I've been using AVG and ZoneAlarm for quite some time now, as Norton's is basically useless anymore. (Not to mention bloody expensive!) I'll take a stomp over to Avast and see how it is. Thanks! I always like to hear about stuff like that!

Re: Pidgin, I haven't tried the Windows version, just used it in Linux with Dave's box. I really like it in Linux (Ubuntu) and haven't had an issue with hogging resources. For my windows lappy though, I've stuck with Trillian -- what can I say, I'm a creature of habit! :)